Kerala Hindus of North America (KHNA) Youth in partnership with Swami Vivekananda Medical Mission, for the fourth year in a row, offers an opportunity for youth to serve Kerala and connect with the soul of God’s Own Country. This is an unpaid summer internship and offers opportunity to youth and young adults to contribute their time to a larger movement of serving humanity, while engaging in self-development. Interns spend the duration
of their internship working with NGOs in the community. They seek to serve and engage in a transformative experience that empowers them, as
they strive to make an impact in their chosen field.
So far 9 KHNA youth have successfully completed this internship since its inception in 2016. Five of the past interns were girls. 6 of the past
interns were from Canada and 3 from USA. They have since been involved helping fund raise and implementing projects to address issues they
worked on, in the community, during their internship. This has helped the interns bring closure to their work from studying the issue, collecting
data, coming up with possible solutions and then implementing the best suited solution i.e. being truly part of the solution.
Who can apply:
- Youth (18 + years old) University Youth.
- Be able to participate for the full duration of the internship program.
- Be a resident of USA or Canada.
- Possess strong enthusiasm to make a difference and willingness to serve.
- Be able to adapt well to situations, a new environment and people.
- Be respectful of local communities, their language, culture & traditions
- Comprehension or Speaking skills in Malayalam or Tamil is preferred.
- Be able to participate in Sadhana & Seva activities at the Ashram.
Our Partner NGO: Swami Vivekananda Medical Mission (SVMM).
Accommodation: Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Anaikatti, Tamil Nadu (11kms away from Attapady – transportation is provided). The accommodation set in a scenic setting, is clean, modern and well kept and hosts international students from all over the world, for their own programs. Clean, hygienic and healthy vegetarian food, prepared with love and Seva is provided at the Ashram. The Ashram also has a Reverse Osmosis Plant that provides clean drinking water. Also a very secure campus.
Timing : December 2019 to January 2020 or May, June, July 2020
Duration : 4 weeks (1 week orientation followed by 3 weeks of field work)
Language skills : Comprehension of Malayalam or Tamil, since work entails interaction with local communities in the villages.
Project Descriptions, Roles & Deliverable :
In the role of a community social worker, interns will be assigned to one of the ongoing projects involving creation of self help groups and
resolution of community development issues. Interns will also have an opportunity to –
- Follow Doctors of the hospital as they go about treating patients.
- Teach English at the local school
- Experience life at an Ashram and attend lectures there
- Trek into Tropical Forests, especially the famed Silent Valley National Park and watch wild life.
Cost : Each intern pays equivalent of US $600 (total) in Indian Rupees to SVMM ($300) & Arsha Vidya Gurukulam ($300), during their internship in India. This includes accommodation, food and local transportation during the internship. Interns pay for their own travel to India and getting to the internship location and return.